New Perio Disease Classification System
A new classiﬁcation scheme for periodontal and peri-implant diseases and conditions has been developed and is necessary for clinicians to properly diagnose and treat patients as well as for scientists to investigate etiology, pathogenesis, natural history, and treatment of the diseases and conditions.
It is important to become familiar with these changes and consultations from periodontists will likely incorporate the new classification. Furthermore, insurance companies will be developing appropriate codes for each of these and they will be required for claim submission.
These changes are worldwide. They are the proceedings of the World Workshop on the Classiﬁcation of Periodontal and Peri-implant Diseases and Conditions. The workshop was co-sponsored by the American Academy of Periodontology (AAP) and the European Federation of Periodontology (EFP) and included expert participants from all over the world. Planning for the conference, which was held in Chicago on November 9 to 11, 2017, began in early 2015. PDFs of articles published from the World Workshop are below.
Reading the papers here would be like completing a mini-residency in periodontics. There is a ton of information here. My recommendation would be to read the first article by Caton and then the Consensus Reports or at least the abstracts.
- A new classiﬁcation scheme for periodontal and peri-implant diseases and conditions–Introduction and key changes from the 1999 classiﬁcation.
- Periodontal health.
- Dental plaque-induced gingival conditions.
- Non plaque-induced gingival diseases.
- Plaque induced gingivitis: case definition and diagnostic considerations.
- Periodontal health and gingival diseases and conditions on an intact and reduced periodontium; Consensus Report 1 of the 2017 of the world workshop on the classification of periodontal and peri-implant diseases and conditions.
- Acute periodontal lesions (periodontal abscesses and necrotizing periodontal diseases) and endo-periodontal lesions.
- Classification and diagnosis of aggressive periodontitis.
- Mean annual attachment, bone level, and tooth loss: a systematic review.
- Age-dependent distribution of periodontitis in two countries.
- Staging and grading of periodontitis: framework and proposal of new classification and case definition.
- Periodontitis: Consensus Report 2 of the 2017 of the world workshop on the classification of periodontal and peri-implant diseases and conditions.
- Manifestations of systemic diseases and conditions that affect the periodontal attachment apparatus.
- Mucogingival conditions in the natural dentition: Narrative review, case definitions and diagnostic considerations.
- Occlusal trauma and excessive occlusal forces.
- Dental Prosthesis and tooth-related factors.
- Periodontal manifestations of systemic diseases and developmental and acquired conditions: Consensus Report 3 of the 2017 of the world workshop on the classification of periodontal and peri-implant diseases and conditions.
- Peri-implant health.
- Peri-implant mucositis.
- The etiology of hard and soft tissue deficiencies at dental implants.
- Peri Implant health, mucositis, and peri-implantitis: Case definitions and diagnostic considerations.
- Peri-Implant diseases and conditions: Consensus Report 4 of the 2017 of the world workshop on the classification of periodontal and peri-implant diseases and conditions.
Summary of Staging and Grading Periodontitis and Peri Implant disease: